Being involved in a road traffic accident is a distressing and confusing time. It is inevitably made worse if the accident was caused by an uninsured driver or you were the victim of a hit and run driver.

To those would never dream of driving a car without insurance, some of the statistics provided by the Association of British Insurers  are fairly shocking and make you realise the problems uninsured motorists create

  • The total cost of uninsured motorist damage to law abiding drivers in the UK stands at around £380 million.
  • There are around 900,000 motorists under the age of 30 driving without insurance
  • Uninsured drivers are ten times more likely to be over the drink drive limit
  • Uninsured drivers are three times more likely
    to be convicted of driving without due care
  • About 1 in 10 motorists have been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.

Most people think you cannot make a claim in such circumstances! Our specialist team of Personal Injury Solicitors can deal with your personal injury claim by submitting a claim to the MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau).

The MIB is a non-profit making organisation set up and funded by the Insurance industry to compensate victims of uninsured or untraced (hit and run) drivers.

All personal injury claims are subject to time limits imposed by the limitation Act 1980, with MIB claims being no exception. The general rule for a personal injury claim is that the claim must be issued within 3 years of the accident date, or 3 years from the date the injured person turns 18. However, it is preferable to make a claim
promptly whilst events are still fresh in your mind.

Where the driver has left the scene of the accident or refuses to give you insurance, you should obtain as much information about the other driver and vehicle as possible and report the matter to the police within 5 days to allow the Police to investigate and attempt to trace the other driver.

It is possible for injured people to make applications directly to the MIB. However, MIB claims can be lengthy and complicated and are often undervalued by the MIB handlers. It is advisable to seek legal advice and representation from specialist Solicitors such as ourselves.

Forster Dean’s specialist Solicitors can guide you through the claims process and any necessary appeals and will give you comprehensive advice on any legal issues involved. We will also ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to.

Forster Dean works on a no win no fee basis so your MIB claim will not cost you a penny with us! However, the MIB may deduct £300 excess on property claims.

Unlike many law firms, we do not pay for the work that we receive;

80% of Forster Dean’s clients come from recommendations and repeat clients.

If you would like our Specialist help or advice about making a claim to the MIB for an accident involving an  untraced or uninsured driver, or indeed any other matter, please call us on 0800 389 1978.